There aren't many gamechangers out there for guys so, know this: everyone looks at your tie (bowtie) and pocket square.
Whether you're getting dressed for the holiday office party, getting ready to knock-it-out-the-park for date night, or just heading to the big meeting at work, there are a few ties every man should own. They are...
- Red - the red should be a slightly deeper red and focus on a print or pattern that is simple to start. Throw in these knot cufflinks for good measure!
- Blue - medium to dark blue is the right answer and opting for no pattern gives is a sleeker appearance! Add some handkerchiefs and, contrary to popular belief, once you've used it, wash it. Reusing it is just nasty.....
- Purple - this is the tie that says 'I'm a power player and I belong' and it works best with navy and charcoal grey suits. This pocket square goes perfectly!
- Black - everyone says plain but I say add a touch of texture and then keep the suit plain! This tie is for After-5 and semi-formal affairs...and add this pocket square for good measure.
- Plaid (stewart or tartan) - this is your holiday office-appropriate look... If you're rocking cufflinks, keep them plain too.
General tie rules to abide by include:
- Once tied, the tie should barely hit your belt
- The width of your tie should be in proportion to the width of your lapel
- Your tie knot should be a four-in-hand but learn at least three other knot options
- If you do a tie bar, it goes between the 3rd and4th button of your dress shirt
- Ensure your materials are the same - cotton/linen suit with cotton/linen tie, etc
BONUS: right now, get 15% - 35% off withcode "THANKFUL"