You know the FOUR steps to get your belt size (it's not your waist size....):
- Throw on your pants/skirt how you'd normally wear it
- Confirm where you want to wear your belt (note: if camouflage of your mid-section is the goal then go higher up than your natural waist; if your goal is to adorn a tunic and channel your inner-boho then go lower and looser)
- Grab a flimsy tape measure
- Thread the tape measure through the belt loops and note the size! Oh yeah - don't forget to note the size of your belt loops too!!
BOOM SHAKALAKA - Step 1 done!!
Now that you know your size, Step 2 is to confirm what type of belt you want! Points to consider:
- thin or wide?
- leather or PU?
- functional or decorative?
- for work (so less metalware and decoration) or play (align it with your style personality)
Last step (#3) is which belt you should get...
- Always go with leather
- Your first two belts should be brown or black, and metallic
- Opt for less metalware than more especially if you need it to go more formal
- If you're petite (under 5' 3"), your belt shouldn't be wider than 1 1/2 inches
- If you're short-waisted then don't go any wider than 1-1 1/2 inches
- For the curvy set, your belt should always rest at the smallest part of your mid-section
- If you want to camouflage the mid-section then opt for a belt that's around 2-2 1/2 inches wide
Here are a few of my favorites....