Q: Wedding season is about to begin. For a beach or poolside wedding, is there any such thing as too casual? What is appropriate without being overly dressed? from rainydaydiva
A: What a great question, rainydaydiva! Yes, there is such a thing as too casual and you wouldn't want to fall into that trap. Here's our advice on how to take it up a notch for a beach or poolside wedding without being too stuffy or high-maintenance for an outdoor summertime affair. The key is to feel comfortable and relaxed on the beach or poolside while still looking pulled together.
- For minimal fuss, opt for light and easy summer fabrics such as a jersey or nylon/poly blend or a chiffon
- For daytime, try a knee-length or upscale sundress. Nothing too short please—you don't want a gust of wind to reveal your undies to the other guests
- For evening, show out without upstaging the bride in an elegant maxi dress
- Remember it should be slightly dressy, something nice—not to be confused with that little dress you use as a bathing suit coverup—in vibrant, cheerful colors to reflect your sunny disposition. Not big on bright colors? Experiment with prints instead
- Sandals—keep 'em flat, wedged or with small kitten-heel. Be reasonable and make sure you can walk in them no matter the terrain. Stilettos are impractical and inappropriate for a beach wedding, and please keep the flip-flops at home
- Remember you will be braving the elements—sun, sand, and salty water—so prepare your skin and lather on the sunscreen. Tinted moisturizers with an SPF are great to avoid that whitish residue sometimes leftover from sunscreen
- Let your hair be free! Go natural and work with the weather and humidity; not against it
- Still feeling a little underdressed? Glam it up with dramatic makeup and jewelry depending on the location, time of day, and what the invitation suggests
- Bring a cute wrap or pashmina to throw over your shoulders in case it's windy or you get chilly easily
- For the gentlemen (we didn't forget you!), a light-colored linen suit and sandals would look oh so handsome! Also, keep your cool --- and skip the tie!