Day 3: Cotton. Cotton is king if you live in a warm climate--it breathes as opposed to generating extra heat for the body. Whether in its crisp form, poplin, or its softer form, sateen, its multi-faceted and versatile.
- Cotton comes in several gauges from lightweight summer fabrics to heavy duty denim.
- Although cooler temperatures are better, cotton can be washed at all temperatures. For whites, the hottest temperature possible is best to boost whiteness.
- Don't wash drip-dry cottons at high temperatures.
- Similar to linen, ironing cotton when slightly damp gives the best results.
- When storing for the winter, add a sachet of lavender--it's an excellent insect repellent and retains its scent for several months.