There was a time when you couldn't find any lingerie let alone something stylish for women who had undergone a mastectomy - well no more! Lingerie and foundationwear can be found sparingly, and some places even do it right.
Here are the few insights we've been able to gather:
- You can rock an underwire bra...just look for a very short wire so it doesn't poke out
- Some stores need to get with the times ~ Victoria's Secret still doesn't carry any mastectomy bras!
- Most of the breast prostheses are made from silicone gel
- As a survivor, it's recommended that you start with a non-weighted bra and then transition to a weighted option per a prescription from your doctor
- A professional fitter will help you determine the right size and shape to ensure the most natural look
- Check with your insurance but most insurances cover a fitting along with two to four bras per year
The three best spots for bras and other mastectomy lingerie include: